Tuesday, October 28, 2008

18 Month Dr. Appt & Update


This morning, we went for Austin's 18 month well visit. The verdict is that we have a very healthy little boy. Apparently, the feeding frenzy that Austin has been on lately has had an effect and he finally put some meat on those bones. He weighed in at 26 lbs 8 oz (59%)! That is 3 lbs more than he was at 15 months, and 6 lbs more than at a year, which means that he has averaged a pound a month. Wow! His height measured at approximately 32 inches (42%) (I say approximately, because he couldn't seem to stay still ;-) and his head grew once again and he is now in the 90th percentile for head circumference. ;-)

While I am at it, here is an update on what all Austin has doing lately...

  • Austin has recently learned to say "Gan" (Again). This means that I have gotten to read "Cat in the Hat" , "Hermie" and "We are Going on a Bear Hunt"(his current favorites) more times than I can count. ;-)
  • In the past month, Austin has learned how to take his clothes off. This means, that I have found him naked a few times. ;-)

  • Austin loves to help me around the house, and I often refer to him as my little helper. The other day he was was unloading the dryer (his favorite chore) and taking the clothes over to our folding spot in our room. He kept saying "Hepa" over and over. It took me a while to realize that he was telling me that he was my helper. So cute.

  • Austin has always been a bit of a night owl, going to bed later than most children his age and requiring less sleep. Well, his activity level seems to have finally caught up with him. In the past couple of weeks, we have moved his bedtime up an hour and his naps have increased to 2 - 2 1/2 hours.

  • Bedtime has become a sweet ritual in our house. Austin loves his bath, reading time, and bedtime prayer. I know it probably won't last, but right now we are enjoying the fact that he goes to bed without a peep.

  • Austin has decided that he is now too much of a big boy to sit in a highchair. Our kitchen chairs have proven that they are not quite sturdy enough for a toddler, so as a compromise, we have removed the tray and lowered his highchair so that he can eat from a plate on the table.

  • On a similar note, Austin is really trying to assert his independence. He wants to do everything himself and becomes rather frustrated when he cannot accomplish a task on his own. At one point, I had to sit him down and explain that he is growing and learning new things everyday, and would probably be able to do it in a few more weeks. I don't know that he understood what I was saying, but it seemed to calm him down.
  • Austin has developed a particular interest in both dogs and babies. [Don't get too excited, Santa is not bringing him either one for Christmas ;-)] Our neighbors have a dog, named Sam. Every time he barks, Austin will run to the window to watch him and yell "Pu-pah" (Puppy) until he goes back inside. Austin is very drawn to strollers these days because he knows that stroller = baby (to him, even other children his age are considered babies). I usually have to keep a hand on him because he will start yelling "Ba-ba" (Baby) and try to get right in their face.





1 comment:

Jayna said...

That pic of him in his highchair is just precious!