Monday, February 16, 2009

Mischevious and Energetic - An Answered Prayer

I find that I am often guilty of not recognizing when a prayer has been answered. When the results are right away, that is one thing, but if it is something that takes a while to develop, or that God takes a while to answer, I forget that I prayed the prayer in the first place and fail to give Him the credit and thanks that He is due. Over the past week, one such prayer has been brought to my mind over and over.
During the last week or two, several people have made comments regarding Austin's abundant energy and mischievous spark. This is not really anything out of the ordinary, because those are two characteristic that I am fully aware of in Austin. This week, however, the combination of those two words (energetic and mischievous) triggered a memory of a prayer that I prayed over 2 years ago. It was December 21, 2006. I had just had my follow up ultrasound, (Austin was not cooperative during the first one and they hadn't been able to see everything that they needed to.) and had been placed on full bed rest. We had been told that not only did our son have just a two vessel chord (which they had seen in the previous ultrasound), but that the technician had spotted two "markers" on his heart. In addition, my fluid levels were low enough to cause concern. Needless to say, Walker and I were pretty scared. I remember being at home that evening, lying in bed, and praying that God would take care of our little man. I specifically remember praying not only that he be healthy, but that he would be full of energy and mischievous. I know that it may sound weird for someone to pray for their child to be mischievous. I kept thinking back to some of the children that I taught at the daycare that I worked at in high school. It was always the little mischievous, energetic boys that stole my heart, so that is the image that would pop in my brain when I imagined my son at the age of 2 or 3. I just kept praying over and over that he would be healthy, full of energy, and have that mischievous spark.
Looking back, God began answering our petition immediately. The following week, we went to the Maternal Fetal Medicine specialists. My fluid levels were increasing and the doctor was very encouraging regarding the "markers" on Austin's heart (they disappeared on the ultrasounds a few weeks later). A couple days later, Austin's activity picked up and he soon became one of the most active babies in utero that I have heard of. The technicians made comments at every ultrasound, and my coworkers would gather round to watch how much he made my belly move. (I think that my poor intern nearly fainted a couple times watching it;-)
Now at almost 22 months, Austin is more than we ever hoped or dreamed for back then. He is perfectly healthy..Praise God!, and as for the energy and mischievousness...well, he has more than enough to spare on both counts. ;-) I just cannot believe how very blessed we are.
I know that this is rather lengthy (and lacks photos - shame on me ;-), but I just wanted to document this. I want Austin to know when he gets older that he is an answer to many prayers. I also need to remind myself on the days when the mischievousness is a little more than I would prefer (this week alone, he has locked me out of the house and caused me to moon half of Target ;-), that it is something I asked for, and I would not trade that part of him for the world.

3 comments:

Jayna said...

Michelle, this is an awesome journal entry about Austin's childhood. I'm sure he'll treasure it!!

And I have to hear about what happened at Target!! ha ha!

Anonymous said...

This is so awesome, it made me cry! I cant wait to see Austin again and his little mischievous self :)

Mike & Leanne said...

You may need to elaborate a little more on that Target story. haha