Thursday, September 27, 2007

Time to play hard ball....yikes!

A few days ago, I went to get Austin for his 7am feeding, and found him laying on his belly in his crib. Normally, this would be no big deal since he rolls over to his stomach a dozen times during the day now. The problem was that we are still swaddling him, so he does not have access to his arms to push himself up. He had managed to get out of his positioner and roll over while still swaddled. Scared me to death. Therefore, the past 2 nights, I have been trying to get him to sleep without being swaddled....did not exactly go well. The first night, he and I got a total of 45 min. of sleep. Last night, he (and I for that matter) was so exhausted, that I gave in around 2:30 and swaddled him. Before I swaddled him, he would go to sleep, but then wake up 5 min. later. I called the pediatrician's office today to get some advice. I knew what they were going to tell me to do, but I was still hoping they would just get me some magical trick instead. No such luck. All of you experienced parents, know what I am about to say. Yes, that is correct....it is time to let him cry it out. We have let him cry himself to sleep before, that really isn't the big deal to me. It is the fact that he is going to wake up 5 minutes later and we are going to have to do it again and again, that scares me...especially since I am going on 48 hrs with only a couple hours of sleep as it is. So, if you would offer up a quick prayer, that this will be easier on Austin that I think it is going to be, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know that this is such a difficult time. Just know that when you are up I am probably up too, right there with you in the solidarity of moms with screaming infants. Rad's had a major backslide since his illness. One question... do you use a pacifier?

michelleandwalker said...

Last night actually went much better than I expected. His crying periods kept getting shorter, & the sleep periods got progressively longer.
I used to use one to put him to sleep (I only use one for sleeping and in the car unless we are someplace where he it is not good for him to chatter such as church or a wedding), but without the swaddler, I found that he would drop it and once it rolled out of reach, it became something that he would work to get at and would keep him awake. I didn't give it to him at all last night, and I think it helped because instead of working for it, he just sucked on his hand for a little while.