Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Halloween Summary

Halloween is a holiday that changes when you have children. Instead of being limited to a single day, it seems to take over the entire week with various activities. We started out our celebration by going to our church's Trunk or Treat. Austin did not get a nap that afternoon, and I knew my hopes of great pictures were lost when he fell asleep in the car on our way there. Although the sleepiness made him not want to wear his whole costume (he was suppose to be a construction worker), he still had a lot of fun. Since Austin has never been a fan of sweets or candy, I really didn't think he would be that into trick or treating, but once he noticed that the other kids were collecting candy in their buckets, he was all about it.

This is the closet we came to a photo of him in his costume. Notice that I am holding the construction hat. Of course, since that night, he has frequently worn the hat around the house.

Staying true to form, we couldn't get Austin to eat any of his loot, but he sure had a lot of fun dumping his pumpkin out and playing with it. ;-)

On Wednesday, Austin had his first preschool class party. I was one of the party moms, so I made iced sugar cookies for the occasion. What is it about iced sugar cookies? Even when they look like pumpkins, they still put me in the Christmas mood. ;-)

Austin dressed up like a Tennessee Titan for his school party.


Walker took Friday off of work to do some projects around the house, but at the last minute, plans changed and we ended up having a fun family day instead. Ever since I told Walker how much Austin enjoyed the JumpZone, he has been wanting to go with us. Let me just say that Austin was in heaven having his daddy come play with him at his favorite place. They had a blast! I cannot express how much it warms my heart to see the wonderful bond Walker and Austin have and how much fun Austin has with his daddy.


Talk about a moment that makes a mother's heart leap into her throat....
Of course, Austin being Austin, he just laughed and was perfectly fine. I, on the other hand, was shaking even more once I saw the photo of the collision.
Later that afternoon, we finally got around to carving our pumpkin. I decided to go the easy route this year instead of attempting a fancy design so that Austin could help as much as possible (and to be honest because I just didn't have the energy ;-) Austin wasn't really sure about the goo inside the pumpkin, but he will try just about anything if it means "helping" daddy.

I wasn't feeling great on Halloween, so we opted to just stay in and pass out candy. Austin loved getting to answer the door and place treats in the children's bags. After a while though, he began to sneak some to add to his own pumpkin. ;-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would be thrilled if Rad didn't like sweets! I'd not push that one at all. Rad asks for dessert after breakfast now (doesn't get it, of course), and doesn't stop asking all day. He definitely has my sweet tooth. I would love to have Austin's lack of sweet tooth!

The Browns said...

Your cookies are gorgeous! I can never get a sugar cookie to look like that! :) I didn't know you were so talented. I also can't believe Austin wouldn't taste his candy. Hannah now asks for candy first thing when she wakes up in the morning even though she's only allowed one piece after her nap! I thought keeping her away from sugar for almos the first two years of her life would help her not be such a sweet tooth, but I think it had the opposite effect . . . :)