Today was Austin's first official day of school. When we pulled up to the school, he let "Miss" Pat get him out of the car (which I had been nervous about) and walked right into the building without as much as a whimper. 5 Minutes later, as I am driving down the road feeling rather proud of how smoothly things went, my phone rings. A friend was calling to let me know that she just witnessed my little escape artist of a son sneak out the back door of his classroom, run across the line of cars waiting to drop children off, and make his way over to the playground. Thankfully, she also told me that another one of my friends went after him and returned him safely to his classroom. Sadly, I wasn't all that surprised, as Austin has made a name for himself at church for escaping the various Sunday school classes he has been in. After we got home, Austin's teacher called to fill me in (getting a call from the teacher on the first day probably isn't a good sign ;-), and apparently he escaped twice during the short 3 hours that he was there (today was only a half day). Thanks to my mischievous child, they will be installing a childproof knob on that door before Thursday. ;-)
On a more positive note, Austin really seemed to have enjoyed himself on his first day. He was grinning ear to ear when I picked him up, and "talked" most of the way home. I can tell that he is going to love going to preschool. Of course, his teachers might need a few prayers as they learn to deal with my very active, mischievous, precious little boy. ;-)
3 comments:
Twice! They are definitely going to have their hands full! You are going to have to install a door alarm to let you know if he leaves the house at night (something I've already considered for us). Glad he did well today.
He has a child knob on the inside of his bedroom door, and we have purchased latches to install at the top of all of our exterior doors. (Plus we set our security system at night - can you tell that I have worried about this ;-)
I am dying laughing! That's hilarious! What a little escape artist! Too funny!!
Post a Comment