Just in the past week or so, Austin has developed a new interest. All of a sudden, he is really into shapes and puzzles. He has had a shape sorter since he was an infant, but until this week has always enjoyed building towers with the blocks more than sorting them into the container. Austin has begun sorting the shapes numerous times during the day. Each time it is the same. He always starts with the circles, then squares, followed by stars and he saves triangles for last. He has even learned their names and can identify the shapes when asked. That took me by surprise because I have not been as good as I should be about teaching him his shapes.
At the consignment sale last fall, I picked up a few puzzles for Austin. I held onto them until Christmas because I thought they might be a little old for him. I was wrong. He loves them! Especially the one that is of various shapes.
Walker and I figured that he was just playing with the pieces, so we were shocked last week to realize that he knew where each shape went and could even point out various shapes when asked. I keep forgetting how quickly they learn at this age. He is like a sponge. Once again, like the sorting blocks, the circle must always be placed first, followed by the square. ;-)
Walker and I figured that he was just playing with the pieces, so we were shocked last week to realize that he knew where each shape went and could even point out various shapes when asked. I keep forgetting how quickly they learn at this age. He is like a sponge. Once again, like the sorting blocks, the circle must always be placed first, followed by the square. ;-)I love this serious "contemplating" look. ;-)

This is Austin (after he noticed that I was taking photos) running towards me saying "see". He loves looking at the image on the back of the camera after I have taken a photos.
No comments:
Post a Comment